Tuesday, August 25, 2009

San Ardo + University RR report (Elite 3)

I'm one of those crazies who deludes himself into thinking that two road races (one being the notoriously painful University RR) in one weekend is a grand idea. I have a soft / masochistic place in my heart for the UCSC Cycling hometown race course, so I can never pass it up. And how often do you get to ride your bike to a race?

San Ardo: 9th place. Started the race with a teammate, but Thad unfortunately was crashed out when another rider hooked bars with him. I came into the finishing slight climb with perfect position but too little in my legs. I'd helped bring back a few breaks, which is a pretty silly thing to do when you're the only Bike Trip rider and SJBC's got five guys, Webcor three, and Swift three. Heck, it's telling when a few guys told me to not work so much—how often does that happen?


University RR: in the results! This is the race that made me realize that I need to be 5-10 pounds lighter. I managed to last 9 laps before I started "going backwards." An improvement over last year, nonetheless! It was especially fun to sprint on the lap after seeing "1" on the lap card...only to see "1" again. AUGH.

No comments: